Springboard – Edmonton, Alberta

Since Turkey, I have come back home and sorted out my business. Infact, it all got done quite quickly once I was actually home. I then decided to take a trip across Canada hitting Toronto, Montreal, and Prince Edward Island. Then I flew over to San Fran where I hung out for a few short days before making my way to Napa to retrieve my car and trailer. I hung out in the vineyards and orchards before finally making the trek to Burning Man once again.

I arrived a week early this year and even got to see the Man go up. It was quite a moment indeed. However this year came with a few challenges. I ended up moving camps and discovering the Leopard Martini Lounge where I was welcomed with open arms. Martini Man matter of factly gave me my playa name, Caramel, which sounded sweet. So it is, I thought to myself, and wondered why it had taken four years to come up with something so obvious.

I also worked Black Rock City Emergency Dispatch shifts every few days which in all honesty, did a bit of a number on my energy levels. I also (being the keener that I am) completed Ranger training and worked my Alpha shift. I was super excited to graduate with the Ranger class of 2011 as Ranger Caramel. Again…sweet! I had a good burn and met some fine friends and reconnected with some others. Overall though, I think I will be more diligent about my time and energy management from now on. There is a tendency to try to do too much. I think I will make sure I have those “do nothing” days written in pen on next years schedule.

By Monday after my last shift, I was more than ready to leave the playa. I was exhausted driving to Reno and though I guzzled a Monster drink, I still hugged the wheel with all my might willing myself to stay awake just one more hour. I spent a couple days at a resort hotel in Reno before flying back to Montreal to cat/house sit for my China bound friend. I had a great three weeks pretending I was French although I ended up sick for most of it. C’est la vie.

I flew back to Reno, hopped in my car and roadtripped back along the coast towards Canada. I hit Seattle and Vancouver to visit friends before the all night drive through the mountains back into Edmonton. Truth be told, I was very excited to be able to store the car and the Trillium trailer for the winter. How nice not to have to look for parking for a year!

I am about to embark on a huge adventure, one I have been putting off for some time….India. I have been scrambling around doing visa applications and sorting through last minute admin stuffs. I am leaving in less than a week and I am not sure why I am not more excited. I feel very unprepared despite the 20 books I have out on loan from the library right now. I am starting to think this may be the kind of place one can not quite prepare for.

Grateful for getting home in time to leave again.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply